Sacred Worship and Worldview
Conservation and Restoration
3.5 ECTS; 3º Ano, 2º Semestre, 30,0 T + 15,0 TP + 2,0 OT
An overview of sacred art and its integration in the 3 great religions of the Book.Students should be able to integrate sacred objects in their social context and in the harmony-tension relationship between official norms and popular religiosity and be able to carry out detailed inventories.
I. The Sacred Worship and Worldview in the three religions of The Book: history and heritage (buildings and implements):
1 . Judaism
2 . Christianity (catholic, orthodox and other eastern comunities)
3 . Islam
II. Major themes of Christian art
1. the great Vatican Councils the rules for images;
2 . specific aspects of the Portuguese world: the case of Charities
Mid-term test (30%) and monography (70%) including oral presentation.
A minimum average mark of 10/20 exempts students from taking the final exam.
- HATTSTEIN, M. (2000). El Islam, Arte y Arquitectura. (Vol. 1). Konemann: Ullmann
- GAARDER, J. (2002). O Livro das Religiões. Lisboa: Presença
- ., .. (2001). Dicionário de História Religiosa de Portugal. (Vol. 1 a 4). Lisboa: Universidade Católica
- ALMEIDA, F. (1971). História da Igreja em Portugal. (Vol. 4vs.). Barcelos: Barcelos
Method of interaction
Lectures supported by datashow.
Software used in class