History of Portuguese Art 2
Conservation and Restoration
4 ECTS; 2º Ano, 2º Semestre, 30,0 T + 15,0 TP + 2,0 OT
- Maria Teresa Ribeiro Pereira Desterro
Relate the context in which the successive art movements developed in Portugal, during the Modern Age with its peculiar characteristics.
Students should be able to characterize and identify their main artworks (and their authors when possible)
Develop the ability to read the works of art as aesthet
I - The Renaissance Cycle : Innovations and resistance
1-The influence of italian classicism
1.1 -The Great buildings of the first middle of XVIth century
1.2 - Sources and ways of penetration of the?Modern Roman Art?
2 - Painting in thr first quarter of the XVIth century
2.1 -The labour organization
2.2 -The importance of patronage: the royal comissions and regional particularisms
2.3 - The prevalence of Flemish imports
2.4. - The national production. Centralization and artistic peripheries
3 -The Sculpture: the Schools of Lisbon, Coimbra and Évora
II ? From Renaissance to Mannerism
1- The New Artistic Scenario
1.1 -Portugal and Italian?Prima-Maniera?
1.2 ? The importance of?Idea?
1.3 The generation of ' Romanized ' painters
2 -The Counter-Reformation and the ?Contra-Maniera?
2.1 ? The development of ?Pittura Senza Tempo?
III - The Proto-Baroque
1 ?The first Baroque :
1.1-Resistance and acceptance: Sacred, civil and military architecture
1.3 -Decorative Arts
III- BAROQUE in XVIIITH CENTURY
Continuous assessment: two mid-term tests (minimum pass mark:10/20 with a minimum mark of 7,5 in each test.
Final exam for students failing in continuous assessment (minimum pass mark:10/20).
- VV, A. (2010). A Nova História da Arte de Janson. A tradição ocidental, revisão científica de Fernando António Baptista Pereira, 9ª Edição, Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian, Lisboa, 2010.. Lisboa: Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian
- Pereira (coord), P. (1995). História da Arte Portuguesa. (Vol. II e III). Lisboa: Círculo de Leitores / Temas e Debates
- Réau, L. (1957). Iconographie de l?Art Chrétien,. (Vol. 1,2,3). Paris: Presses Universitaires de France
- V.V, A. (1986). História da Arte em Portugal.. (Vol. 5,6,7,8,9,10). Lisboa: Alfa
Method of interaction
Theorectical lectures focused on artwork analysis.
Theorectical/practice lectures based on discussion and reflection on the contents covered in the lectures, through the analysis of works of art and commentary of texts (whenever possible)
Visit to mo
Software used in class