História da Arte 2
Conservação e Restauro
4 ECTS; 2º Ano, 1º Semestre, 30,0 T + 15,0 TP + 2,0 OT
- Maria Teresa Ribeiro Pereira Desterro
Understand the evolution of the western art paradigm throughout the Middle Ages and the Modern Era in relation with the socio-cultural changes. Characterize the artistic movements of this period. Students must demonstrate to interpret artworks as aesthetic, historical and artistic objects.
I The artistic evolution in Middle Ages
2.1-From the pejorative idea of "Opus Gothicum" to the rehabilitation of the concept.
2.2-Gothic art historical and cultural background.
2.3-Architecture.The Gothic as a system:technical innovations.
2.4-Sculpture, relief and tombs
2.5-Painting:illumination, fresco's painting,altarpiece painting and stained glass.
II The artistic development in the Modern Era
1-Origins of the Renaissance Plastic Space
1.1-The importance of perspective in painting and sculpture.
1.2-Architecture and the importance of Treatises.
2-The Italian Renaissance
3-The Flemish "Ars Nova"
4-European Renaissance experience irradiation
5- The Mannerism
5.1-The new aesthetic and artistic concept.
5.2- Compositional inovations in painting, architecture and sculpture.
5.2.1- "Prima-Maniera" and "Naturans Ars"
5.2.2.-The Antwerp Mannerism
5.2.3- Diffusion of Mannerism in Europe
6-Artistic evolution from Barroc to Classicism
6.1- Barroc Art
7.1-Enlightening and his influence in art.
Continuous assessment:two tests (miminum mark of 7.5/20 in one of the tests). Mimimum pass mark is 10/20.
Final examination for the students failing in the continuous assessment.
- Chevalier, J. e Gheer Brant, A. (1982). Dictionnaire des Symboles. Mythes, Rêves, Coutumes, Gestes, Formes, Figures, Couleurs, Nombres. Paris: Robert Laffont & Jupiter
- Janson, H. (2010). A Nova História da Arte de Janson. A tradição ocidental. Lisboa: Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian
- Turner, J. (1998). The Dictionary of Art. London: Jane Turner
- Réau, L. (1996). Iconografia del Arte Cristiano. (Vol. 5vols). Barcelona: Ediciones del Serbal
Method of interaction
Theoretical classes supported by examination and analysis of artworks.
Theoretical-practical lessons focused on discussing and reflecting on the course topics.
Software used in class