Conservação e Restauro
4.5 ECTS; 2º Ano, 1º Semestre, 30,0 T + 30,0 TP + 2,0 OT
- João Luís Farinha Antunes
Students should be able to
-classify organic compounds used in conservation and restoration,
-relate properties and structure,
- evaluate risks involved with solvents and evaluate their interaction with materials,
- identify the properties of the different CR materials.
Organic solvents: properties sorted by chemical family
Harmfulness: toxicity and flammability. Synthetic polymers and biomolecules: classing, the most commmon CR materials by class.
Theoretical final exam.
Oral defense of practical assignments. Minimum pass mark: 10/20 in each component.
- Horie, C. (1987). Materials for Conservation. London: Butterworth
- Wilks, (ed), H. (1984). Adhesives and Coatings. Science for Conservation Series. Book 3. London: The Conservation Unit. Museums & Galleries Commission.
- Masschelein-Kleiner, L. (1981). Les Solvants. Bruxelles: IRPA
- Masschelein-Kleiner, L. (1995). Ancient Binding Media. Roma: ICCROM
Method of interaction
Lectures and tutorials supported by case studies.
Software used in class