Introduction to Conservation and Restoration
Conservation and Restoration
4 ECTS; 1º Ano, 1º Semestre, 30,0 T + 15,0 TP + 2,0 OT
Students will be introduced to common conservation and restoration issues and terminology.
They will familiarize temselves with the basic CR laboratory practices, methods and materials and debate ethical issues.
1. Cultural Heritage preservation
2. Laboratory practice - Fundamentals of health and safety; manipulation and transport of cultural property, equipment, materials and products used in conservation and restoration.
3. Change and changeability.
4. Identification, diagnosis and record.
5. Intervention methodology.
Final grade: written test (60%) + essay 1 (40%).
- CALVO, A. (2003). Conservación y restauración. Materiales, técnicas y procedimientos. De la A a la Z. Barcelona: Ediciones del Serbal
- AAVV, _. (2002). A Conservação e o Restauro do Património. Riscos, Prevenção, Segurança, Ética, Lei.. Lisboa: ARP
- Conservação&Restauro.(2002, 0 de ---). Cadernos de Conservação&Restauro,
Method of interaction
Lectures focused on the main CR methods for ceramic materials and practical classes where the students have the opportunity to handle conservation and restoration materials and products.
Software used in class