Approaches to the Interpretation of the Work of Art
Master's degree in Development of Cultural Tourism Products
6 ECTS; 1º Ano, 1º Semestre, 30,0 T + 15,0 TP
Sensitise the students to the astounding variety of possible interpretations of an artwork.
Provide a historical overview of the different methodologies across time.
Provide the students with the knowledge and tools that will enable them to understand the language of art.
1. Concept definition based on experience and the interpretation of the work of art.
2. Context as symbolic element and factor,
3. Identify and recognise historic art production contexts from the Renaissance to present day.
Individual assignments: preparation (70%), presentation (10%), defense and discussion (10%).
Continuous assessment: class attendance and participation (10%)
- Welchman, . (1997). Invisible colors, A visual history of the titles. (Vol. 1). New Have & London: Yale University Press
- Ricoeur, P. (1997). Teoria da interpretação. (Vol. 1). Porto: Porto Editora
- D'Orey, C. (1999). A exemplificação na obra de arte ? Um estudo sobre nelson Goodman. (Vol. 1). Lisboa: Fundação Caloute Gulbenkian, Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia, Ministério da Ciência e da Tecnologia
- T. Hall, E. (1986). A dimensão oculta. (Vol. 1). Lisboa: Relógio D'Água
Method of interaction
Lectures and tutorials, debates, case study analysis, text analysis, individual and group presentations.
Software used in class