History of Portuguese Art 2
Conservation and Restoration
4 ECTS; 2º Ano, 2º Semestre, 30,0 T + 15,0 TP + 2,0 OT
- Maria Teresa Ribeiro Pereira Desterro
Relate the context in which the successive art movements developed in Portugal, during the Modern Age with its peculiar characteristics.
Students should be able to characterize and identify their main artworks (and their authors when possible)
Develop the ability to read the works of art as aesthet
I - The Renaissance Cycle : Innovations and resistance
1-The influence of italian classicism
1.1 -The Great buildings of the first middle of XVIth century
1.2 - Sources and ways of penetration of the?Modern Roman Art
2 - Painting in thr first quarter of the XVIth century
2.1 -The labour organization
2.2 -The importance of patronage: the royal comissions and regional particularisms
2.3 - The prevalence of Flemish imports
2.4. - The national production. Centralization and artistic peripheries
3 -The Sculpture: the Schools of Lisbon, Coimbra and Évora
II ? From Renaissance to Mannerism
1- The New Artistic Scenario
1.1 -Portugal and ItalianPrima-Maniera
1.2 ? The importance ofIdea
1.3 The generation of ' Romanized ' painters
2 -The Counter-Reformation and the Contra-Maniera
2.1 The development of Pittura Senza Tempo
Continuous assessment: two written works, one on Portuguese Renaissance Art and the other on Mannerist Art in Portugal, depending on the approval of a final average of 10 points. However, 8 is the minimum mark required in one of the assignments; Whoever has a mark lower than 8 in one assignment will be admitted to the exam.
Final Exam: written work on one of the subjects included in the program and its oral presentation. Approval with a minimum score of 10 values.
- VV, A. (2010). A Nova História da Arte de Janson. A tradição ocidental, revisão científica de Fernando António Baptista Pereira, 9ª Edição, Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian, Lisboa, 2010.. Lisboa: Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian
- Pereira (coord), P. (1995). História da Arte Portuguesa. (Vol. II ). Lisboa: Círculo de Leitores / Temas e Debates
- V.V, A. (1986). História da Arte em Portugal.. (Vol. 5,6,7,8,9,10). Lisboa: Alfa
- Serrão, V. (2002). História da Arte em Portugal - Renascimento e Maneirismo. Lisboa: Presença
Method of interaction
Theorectical lectures focused on artwork analysis.
Theorectical/practice lectures based on discussion and reflection on the contents covered in the lectures, through the analysis of works of art and commentary of texts.
Software used in class