Conservation and Restoration VII
Conservation and Restoration
5 ECTS; 3º Ano, 1º Semestre, 15,0 T + 60,0 PL + 3,0 OT
- Luís Filipe Raposo Pereira
The students will be provided with theoretical and practical knowledge in the fields of conservation and restoration of graphic documents, fostering in the students a critical approach to treatment options, including the choice of conservation materials and techniques. The students should develop autonomous work in the fields of preservation, conservation and restoration of various types of graphic documents.
1.Introduction to graphic documents: characteristics and historical evolution
2. Material characterization
- Identification and characterization of different support materials
- Distinction between different graphic techniques and media
- Identification and quantification of damage
4.Treatment and budget proposal
- Ethical issues
- Compliance with the forthcoming use of the object
5.Main conservation and restoration methodologies for graphic documents
- Surface cleaning
- Chemical cleaning and stabilization
- Stabilization of microbiological deterioration
- Conservation bleaching
- Physical stabilization
- Drying and flattening
6. Packaging for storage, display and transportation
7. Graphic documents preventive conservation
The final evaluation is composed by:
a) Attendance, participation, performance (20%)
b) Final theoretical exam (40%)
c) Final report (40%).
Only students with positive evaluation (at least 9.5 points) on the continuous evaluation period (a)), will be admitted to exam.
For approval, the final grade must be at least 9.5/20
- Gascoigne, B. (2004). How to Identify Prints. London: Thames & Hudson (ISBN-13: 978-0500284803)
- Manguel, A. (2010). Uma História da Leitura. Lisboa: Editorial Presença
- Canal, M. (2006). Conservar e Restaurar Papel. Lisboa: Editorial Estampa
- , . e Asunción, J. O Papel: Técnicas e métodos tradicionais de fabrico. Lisboa: Editorial Estampa
- , . e McMurtires, D. (1997). O Livro. Lisboa: Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian
Method of interaction
Lectures concerning the technical and scientific principles of the curricular unit.
Laboratory sessions including didactic exercises of condition assessment and different treatment options followed by application in real objects.
Software used in class
Microsoft OFFICE - WORD, EXCEL, POWERPOINT.