Chromatic Reintegration Techniques
Conservation and Restoration
4 ECTS; 2º Ano, 2º Semestre, 15,0 T + 45,0 PL + 2,0 OT
- Ana Maria dos Santos Bailão
Students will be provided with theoretical and practical skills of visual perception, retouching methods and materials in order to develop both manual ability and sensitivity to manipulate colour; they will practise with different colour retouching techniques in practical exercises done in class.
1. Basic principles of vision, light and colour.
2. Visual perception: colour, shape and state of conservation of the visible image.
3. Classic retouching techniques: principles; visible and mimetic retouching; reconstitutions.
5. Paints: optical, chemical and physical properties; pigments and dyes; retouching materials.
Final classification: class performance (30%) + Portfolio (40%) + written test (30%)
- CIANFANELLI, T. e SCARZANELLA, C. (1992). La percezione visiva nel restauro dei dipinti. L?intervento pittorico. PROBLEMI DI RESTAURO, RIFLESSIONE E RICERCHE. Firenze: Edifir Edizione
- ARNHEIM, R. (1994). Arte & Percepção Visual, Uma Psicologia da Visão Criadora. S. Paulo: Livraria Pioneira Editora
- ELLISON, R. e SMITHEN, P. e TURNBULL, R. (2010). Mixing and Matching, Approaches to Retouching Paintings. Londres: Archetype
- STONER, J. e RUSHFIELD, R. (2012). Conservation of Easel Paintings. London-New York: Routledge
Method of interaction
Lectures, practical exercices and tutorials.
Software used in class