História e Tecnologia do Mobiliário
Conservação e Restauro
ECTS; º Ano, , 0,0 T + 0,0 PL + 0,0 TP + 0,0 P + 0,0 TC + 0,0 S + 0,0 E + 0,0 OT + 0,0 O
- Be familiar with the history and technology of furniture production.
-Recognize the material, technological, artistic and aesthetic nature of an object.
-Practise with production techniques specially decoration and finishing/polishing
-Carry out proj
A. Introduction to the History of Furniture
B. Introduction to Wood Conservation Laboratory
C. Wood: Types, Properties, Characteristics, Defects
D. Resins, Adhesives and Gums
E. Artistic Production of Furniture:
- Wood-Staining with: Aqueous woodstains (Mordants); Transparencies (Dyes) Water and Alcohol Anilines.
- Finishings/Polishings: Abrasive (Dry polishing); Oil; Varnish and Wax; Varnish.
? Theoretical Component(50%):
- Portfolio-Technical specifications(30%)
- Poster (20%)
? Practical Component(50%):
- Portfolio-Exercises developed in practical classes(40%)
- Class performance (10%)
- BROUN, J. (1994). The Encyclopedia of Wood Working Techniques. London: Quatro Publishing, Headline Book Publishing
- CORKHILL, T. (1979). A Glossary of Wood. London: Stobart Davies
- RAMOND, P. (1998). Marquetry. Dourdan: Éditions H. Vial
- JOYCE, E. (1987). The Technique of Furniture Making. London: Batsford Book
Method of interaction
Laboratory sessions including practice on furniture production techniques, decoration and finishing/polishing exercises with the lecturer's support.
Software used in class