Electromechanical Drives (Industrial Automation Branch)
Electronics and Computer Engineering, Publication in the Diário da República - Despacho nº 10766/2011 - 30/08/2011
6 ECTS; 3º Ano, 1º Semestre, 28,0 T + 42,0 PL + 5,0 OT
- Carlos Alberto Farinha Ferreira
The students should understand the circuits and components used in power electronics; the mode of operation of industrial converters and be able to design solutions for open and closed loop electro-mechanical drives.
- Introduction: Historical vision and evolution of electromechanical drives. Power electronic´s versus linear electronics. Involved areas: power electronics, control, electrical machinery, mechanical systems.
- Mechanical systems: mechanical systems models: dynamics fundamental law, viscous friction, turbulent friction, static friction, backlash, elasticity. Characterization of some types of load and relevant equations. Transmission and adaptation of movement: gearboxes, belts, chains, brakes, etc. Determination of load mechanical parameters. Service requirements of electromechanical drives.
- Circuits and power electronics components: Triac, transistors and diodes, inductors and capacitors, technologies, characteristics and operating principles. AC-DC converters, DC-AC, DC-DC and AC-AC, operating principles, topologies, design, open-loop and control. EMI, layout and filtering.
- Drives for asynchronous machines: Review of the asynchronous machine. Machine starting methods. Command by variation of the variables: voltage, voltage and frequency, field orientation, others. Circuits concerned. Systems practical use.
- DC motors drives: review of the dc motor. Position control, speed and torque. Sensors and circuits. Feedback loop. Practical use of systems.
- More than one variable actuator control.
Written test: 50%. Practice (laboratorial): 50%.
- Palma, J. (2008). Accionamentos Electromecânicos de Velocidade Variável. PORTUGAL: Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian
- Robbins, W. e Undeland, T. e Mohan, N. (2008). Power Electronics: Converters, Applications and Design. -: John Wiley & Sons
- Boldea, I. e Nasar, S. e , . (2016). Electric Drives. -: CRC Press
- Bose, B. e , . (1997). Power Electronics and Variable Frequency Drives. -: IEEE
Method of interaction
Lectures, tutorials and laboratory classes.
Software used in class