Fundamentals of Power Systems
Electronics and Computer Engineering
6 ECTS; 2º Ano, 2º Semestre, 28,0 T + 14,0 PL + 28,0 TP + 5,0 OT
- Carlos Alberto Farinha Ferreira
Understand the operating principles and key components of electrical machines and their equivalent circuits. Be able to select and operate electrical machines. Understand the energy production-transportation-supply chain.
- Fundamentals of electric machines: laws, materials, geometry.
- Ideal transformer. Real Transformer: operating principles, constitution, equivalent circuit, testing, performance, energy and power flow, Power connection transient. Auto-transformer.
- Principles of operation, constitution, equivalent circuit, tests, performance, power and power flow, power connection problems, start-up, speed regulation and reversal of rotation of: DC machines, asynchronous and synchronous machines. Sub-types of machines and their specificities.
- Special types of machines.
- Bases of the production, transport and distribution of energy.
Test: 70%. Practice (laboratorial): 30%.
- Fitzgerald, A. e Kingsley Jr., C. e D. Umans, S. (2003). Electric Machinery. -: McGraw-Hill
- Leote, L. e Matias, J. (1989). Produção Transporte e Distribuição de Energia Eléctrica. (Vol. -). -: Didáctica Editora
- Fernandes, J. (0). Sebenta de máquinas eléctricas. Acedido em 21 de janeiro de 2014 em -
Method of interaction
Lectures, problem-solving and laboratory work.
Software used in class