Design and Graphic Arts, Publication in the Diário da República - Despacho nº 9182/2020 - 25/09/2020
3 ECTS; 1º Ano, 2º Semestre, 30,0 TP + 3,0 O
- Regina Aparecida Delfino
1. Deepen theoretical and practical knowledge of typography.
1.1 Understand the anatomy and nomenclature and the technical processes of type casting.
2. Understand the history and theory of typography.
2.1 Know the most important Types Designers and Typographers.
3. Know how to choose typefaces. Know the rules of using typography and know how to apply them in practice.
3.1 Identify typefaces according to stylistic classifications.
3.2 Understand and apply the rules of typographic design.
4. Design typefaces.
4.1 Acquire skills in type design through experimentation with manual and digital media.
1.1 Anatomy and nomenclature of types.
1.2 Main type casting processes.
2. Origins and influences in typography.
2.1 Type designers and typographers.
3. Typographic classifications and rules for use of typography.
3.1 Different typographic classifications (shape, thickness, width, spelling and size).
3.2 Typographic composition: column width; spacing (kerning, tracking); types of alignment; leading.
3.3 Legibility, hierarchy.
4. Type Design.
4.1 Manual drawing.
4.2 Vector drawing (Bézier tools).
The final grade is the weighted average of the works performed: works 1st and 2nd are equivalent to 30% each (60%) and the 3nd is equivalent to 40%.
The assessment at the time of examination consists of the delivery of all works 1st and 2nd equivalent to 30% each (60%) and 3nd corresponding to 40% (30% + 10% defense)
- Megs, P. e McKelvey , R. (2000). Revival of the Fittest: Digital Versions of Classic Typefaces. (pp. 1). New York: RC Publications
- Jong, C. (2017). Type A Visual History of Typefaces and Graphic Styles (1628-1938). (Vol. 1). Colonia: Taschen
- Lupton, H. (2004). Thinking With Type A Critical Guide for Designers, Writers, Editors & Students. (Vol. 1). NewYork : Princeton Architectural Press
- Henestrosa , C. e Meseguer, L. e Scaglione, J. (2017). How to Create Typefaces from sketch to screen. Madrid: Tipo e Editorial
- Cheng, K. (2006). Designing Type. (Vol. 1). Londres: Laurence King Publishing
- Bringhurst, R. (1997). The Elements of Typographic Style. (Vol. 1). Vancouver: Hartley & Marks
- Baines, P. e Haslam, A. (2002). Type and Typography. (Vol. 1). Londres: Laurence King Publishing
- Blackwell, L. (1993). La tipografia del siglo XX. (Vol. 1). Barcelona: Editorial Gustavo Gili
Method of interaction
Presentation of theoretical content supported by audiovisual media. Development of practical and experimental exercises: manual and digital design. Accomplishment of projects accompanied by the teacher.
Software used in class