Design and Graphic Arts, Publication in the Diário da República - Despacho nº 9182/2020 - 25/09/2020
5 ECTS; 2º Ano, 2º Semestre, 15,0 T + 30,0 PL + 6,0 O
Understanding the characteristics and performance of print media (with special emphasis on paper) in the graphic production flowchart - Pre-Press, Press and Post-Press, in order to guarantee the contractual quality of graphic works.
Module 1 - Print media - specific qualities and characteristics. Raw materials used. Paper-making processes and other print media. Special emphasis in the production of various types of paper. Printing inks. Ink-support relationships.
Module 2 - Characterization and quality control of paper. Laboratory production of paper sheets. Analysis of structural properties, physical-mechanical and optical strength of commercial papers. Properties that influence the print or printed product. Laboratory tests of ink-paper ratio.
Module 3 - Quality control in the various stages of the graphic production process: Pre-Pess, Press and Post-Press.
Module 1: Final written test.
Module 2: Laboratorial essays report.
Module 3: Continuous assessment of individual and group exercises.
In order to be evaluated, students are required to attend at least two thirds of the classes taught in modules 2 and 3, being mandatory to carry out the works scheduled for module 3, as well as their presentation and defense.
Students with an evaluation equal to or higher than 10 are exempt from exam.
Examination (normal and appeal season)
Students take a test to the component (s) to which they have not obtained a classification greater than or equal to 10 values.
Final classification (in any evaluation moment)
Arithmetic average of the ratings obtained in the 3 modules.
The student obtains approval with a grade equal to or greater than 10 marks.
- Biermann, C. (1996). Handbook of pulping and papermaking. San Diego: Academic Press
- Kiphan, H. (2001). Handbook of Print Media. Berlim: Springer
- Asunción, J. (2002). O Papel - Técnicas e Métodos Tradicionais de Fabrico. Barcelona: Editorial Estampa
- Barbosa, C. (2009). Manual Prático de Produção Gráfica. Lisboa: Principia
- Sindall, R. (2021). Apprenez a fabriquer du papier. Paris: Exibook
- Ek, M. e Gellerstedt, G. e Henriksson, G. (2009). Paper Products Physics and Technology. Berlim: Walter de Gruyter
- Smook, G. (2016). Handbook for pulp and paper technologists. Atlanta: Tappi Press
Method of interaction
Theoretical classes with oral presentation and audiovisual support.
Practical-laboratory classes with analytical determinations and exercises. Accomplishment and presentation of group and individual works.
Software used in class
Techkon Spectro Conect