Psychology of Visual Perception
Design and Graphic Arts, Publication in the Diário da República - Despacho nº 3359/2013 - 01/03/2013
5.5 ECTS; 1º Ano, 1º Semestre, 45,0 T + 15,0 TP + 4,0 O
- Isabel Maria da Cruz Ferreira
-Describe the functioning of visual system.
-Provide knowledge of perception organization.
-Identify colour characteristics in psychological and psycho-sociological terms
-Promote ability to represent the basic principles of good shape.
1. Conceptual delimitation of the course unit
2. Perception and knowledge (visual memory and visual thought)
3. Neurophysiology of sight
4. The Gestalt theory and the fundamental laws of perceptive grouping
5. Subjective outlines and visual illusions
7. Colour and colour combinations (contrast and analogy) main characteristics
8. Colour and legibility
9. Colour expression (psychological and psycho-sociological meaning)
1. Continuous assessment: two written tests (mid-semester and end-of-semester, respectively) and the marks obtained will determine whether they are qualified to take the exam or not. In order to be qualified to take the second test students must ha
- MONTCHAUD, R. (2014). La couleur et ses accords. Paris: Fleurus Idées.
- ITTEN, J. (2018). Art de la couleur. Paris: Dessain e Tolra.
- HELLER, E. (2017). A Psicologia das Cores. Como as cores afetam a emoção e a razão.. São Paulo: Editorial Gustavo Gili.
- GLEITMAN, H. (2014). Psicologia. Lisboa: Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian.
- ARNHEIM, R. (1998). Arte e percepção visual. São Paulo: Pioneira.
Method of interaction
Lectures using datashow.
Theoretical-practical classes including experiments, problem solving, case study and literature review.
Software used in class