História e Tecnologia da Talha
Conservação e Restauro
ECTS; º Ano, , 0,0 T + 0,0 PL + 0,0 TP + 0,0 P + 0,0 TC + 0,0 S + 0,0 E + 0,0 OT + 0,0 O
The students should be able to identify the main styles and artistic manifestations of carving, the main techniques and materials used in the production of woodcarving and develop creative thinking and manual skills.
1. The importance of gold carving and its diverse applications. Contextualisation of carved artworks and relation with other art manifestations
2. The great manifestations of religious carving in Portugal (altarpiecs, choir stalls etc.)and the several styles from Gothic to neo-classical.
3. Practical exercises:carving,gilding, gold leaf decoration
Literature review on theoretical matters.
Practical performance and technical report + written test.
Final assessment - written examination
- Alves, N. (1989). A Arte da Talha no Porto na època Barroca. (Vol. I e II). Porto: C.M. Porto
- Ferreira, S. (2008). A TALHA, Esplendores de um passado ainda presente (sec.XVI-XVII),. Lisboa: Edições Nova Terra
- Budden, S. (1991). Gilding and Surface Decoration. London: United Kingdom Institute for Conservation of historic and Artistic Works
- Mactaggart, P. (1984). Pratical Gilding. England: Mac & Me Ltd
Method of interaction
Lectures; face-to-face classes supported by audiovisual resources.
Software used in class