Chromatic Reintegration Techniques
Conservation and Restoration
4 ECTS; 2º Ano, 2º Semestre, 15,0 T + 45,0 PL + 2,0 OT
Students will be provided with theoretical and practical skills of visual perception, retouching methods and materials in order to develop both manual ability and sensitivity to manipulate colour; they will practise with different colour retouching techniques in practical exercises done in class.
1. Basic principles of vision, light and colour.
2. Visual perception: colour, shape and state of conservation of the visible image.
3. Classic retouching techniques: principles; visible and mimetic retouching; reconstitutions.
5. Paints: optical, chemical and physical properties; pigments and dyes; retouching materials.
Final classification: class performance (30%) + Portfolio (40%) + written test (30%)
- RUSHFIELD, R. e STONER, J. (2012). Conservation of Easel Paintings. London-New York: Routledge
- TURNBULL, R. e SMITHEN, P. e ELLISON, R. (2010). Mixing and Matching, Approaches to Retouching Paintings. Londres: Archetype
- ARNHEIM, R. (1994). Arte & Percepção Visual, Uma Psicologia da Visão Criadora. S. Paulo: Livraria Pioneira Editora
- SCARZANELLA, C. e CIANFANELLI, T. (1992). La percezione visiva nel restauro dei dipinti. L?intervento pittorico. PROBLEMI DI RESTAURO, RIFLESSIONE E RICERCHE. Firenze: Edifir Edizione
Method of interaction
Lectures, practical exercices and tutorials.
Software used in class