Ética e Direito da Comunicação
4.5 ECTS; 3º Ano, 1º Semestre, 15,0 T + 30,0 TP + 3,0 OT
In Ethics module, to frame and analyse cross thematics concerning the practices of Journalism and Corporate Communication.
In Law module, recognize and make a legal analysis of the Social Communication legal problems and the applicable law.
Ethics and Deontology
1.Notions of Ethics and Theoretical Contextualization (3TP)
2.Ethics and Social Responsibility in Media and in Corporate Communications (3TP)
3.Ethics in Journalism and in Broadcst Media (3TP)
4.Ethics in PR (3TP)
5.Ethics in Advertising (3TP)
6. Ethics' Codes, Deontological Codes and Regulation (3TP)
7.Style Books, Ombudsman and Self-Regulation (3TP)
8.Case studies (3TP)
9.Students' presentations of individual papers (6TP)
COMMUNICATION LAW SOURCES (2T)
1. The Portuguese Republic Constitution- Fundamental Principles and Rights
2. International Conventions
3. Community law
4. Portuguese Law
1. Freedom of expression and information
2. The Right TO Access Information Sources
3. Confidentiality Right
4. The independence guarantee
5. The right to participate
6. Freedom of expression and creation
6.1. General scheme of copyright
6.2. The copyright and the protection of journalistic works
FREEDOM TO ESTABLISH COMPANIES (2T)
1. The right to create newspapers
2. The right to create television and radio companies
INDEPENDENCE AND PLURALISM GUARANTEES (3T)
1. The fundamental principles
2. The radio and television service
LIMITS TO THE MEDIA FREEDOM (3T)
1. Offenses committed by the Media
1.1. Criminal responsibility
1.2. Civil liability and protection of personality rights
1.3. Contraordenacional responsability
1.4. Disciplinary liability
2. The right of reply and rectification
3. The limits to programming freedom
3.1. negative limitations
3.2. positive limitations
1. Concept and types of audiovisual commercial communication.
2. General principles of advertising.
2.1. Restrictions on the content and object.
3. Advertising on television and radio.
Ethics: Written test(80%) and comp. paper(20%)
Law: Two written tests (45%+45%) plus Part.(10%)
Minimum score on each module must be positive, resulting in the final grade average (66%+34%)
EXAMINATION AND APPEAL:
Written test (66%+34%)
- Aznas, H. (2005). Ética de la comunicación y nuevos retos sociales. Barcelona: Paidós
- Faustino, P. (2007). Ética e responsabilidade social dos Media. Odivelas: Formal Press
- Arons de Carvalho e Pedro, A. (2012). Direito da Comunicação Social. Lisboa: Texto Editora
- Reis Condesso, F. (2007). Direito da Comunicação Social - Lições. Coimbra: Almedina
Method of interaction
Content exposure with powerpoints presentation.
Analysis of academic articles. Consultation and analysis of legislation. Media content analysis.
Software used in class