Television Production and Direction
5 ECTS; 1º Ano, 2º Semestre, 30,0 T + 15,0 PL + 4,0 OT
- João Carlos Lopes Ferreira
The main goal of this course is to provide students with theoretical and practical knowledge in the areas of television production and direction.This course also provides the use of Uni-camera and multi-camera techniques.
In order to achieve the objectives set out above, the program of this course should comply with the following sequence:
3. 1. Module 1 - Production:
? Production Stages: Pre-Production; Production and Post-Production.
? Production Teams;
? The Television Studio :Technical and human resources;
? The OB Van (Outside Broadcasting Van).
3.2. Module 2 - Television History:
1875 ? George Carey ? Photo-electric cells Panel
1881 ? Senlecq ? Mechanical device with timing
1884 ? Nipkow ? Nipkow DisK
1925 ? John Baird ? 30-line System
1929 ? Zworkin ? The Iconoscope
1941 ? Black and White TV System
1951 ? Television in Europe
1953 ? NTSC System
1957 ? SECAM System
1963 ? PAL System
Television in Portugal
3.3. Module 3 - Television Technology:
? SD Formats and Standards
? HD Formats and Standards
? Type of Equipment: Plugs and Cables
? Virtual Studio and ?Chroma Key? Technique
3.4. Module 4 - Television Direction:
? Uni-Camera Direction
? Multi-Camera Direction
(*) ? Lessons focused on production and direction processes in a studio and in a regie, as well as virtual studios. These lessons can be held in RTP Studios, Academia RTP and/or in a real direction context.
3. 5. Module 5 - Projects Development:
? Design, direction, production and post-production of small practical projects, using the acquired knowledge, in particular the use of camera, the editing and direction technique. The contents should last 10 minutes maximum, in case web publishing is needed.
The final evaluation is based on the results obtained in the project evaluation and the student participation in the classes:
- 80 % Project evaluation ? (P)
- 20 % Theoretical exam(opt.) student attendance, punctuality and participation in class(A
- Hogan Teves, V. (1998). Tv em Portugal. (Vol. 1). lisboa : Vasco Hogan Teves
- Faria de Almeida, M. (1990). Cinema e televisÃ£o : princÃpios bÃ¡sicos. (Vol. 1). (pp. 1-165). lisboa : TV Guia Ed., 1990
- Henriques, C. (1993). DicionÃ¡rio Televisivo. (Vol. 1). lisboa Centro de FormaÃ§Ã£o da RTP: Centro de FormaÃ§Ã£o da RTP
Method of interaction
? Module 1 ? Production;
? Module 2 ? Television History;
? Module 3 ? Television Technology;
? Module 4 ? Television Direction;
? Module 5 ? Projects development.
Software used in class
Adobe Creative Prodution Suite