Tourism and Culture Management
5 ECTS; 1º Ano, 1º Semestre, 30,0 T + 30,0 TP
- Rita Ribeiro de Carvalho Ferreira Anastácio
Fundamental concepts that allow students to understand the nature of geographic information systems within tourism management, as well as their application, in order to represent and manipulate geographical data applied to the territory and tourism.
1. Concept of geography
2. Space and territorial organization
3. Space transformation due to tourism;
3.1 Tourism, Leisure and recreation
4. Tourism planning from the point of view of geography;
4.1 Territory Management
4.2 Tourism and sustainability;
4.3 Tourism and Urban and natural spaces
5. Geography of Tourism: Tourist Atlas
6. Cartographic Applications in Geographic Information Systems
Theoretical-practical work - presentation + report (100%)
Assessment by examination:
Exam (50%) + Practical Exam (50%)
- Daveau, S. (1995). Portugal Geográfico.. Lisboa: Edições João Sá da Costa.
- Medlik, S. (2003). Dictionary of Travel, Tourism and Hospitality. Butterworth-Heinemann.. UK: Butterworth-Heinemann
- Matos, J. (2008). Fundamentos de Informação Geográfica.. Lisboa: Lidel
- Hall, M. e Page, S. (2002). The Geography of Tourism and Recreation: Environment, Place and Space. (Vol. 1). (pp. 01-399). UK: Routledge
Method of interaction
Discussion and Cases Studies.
Practical applications using GIS software.
Software used in class