Cultural Anthropology and Tourism
Tourism and Culture Management, Publication in the Diário da República - Despacho nº 14880/2013 de 15/11/2013
5 ECTS; 1º Ano, 1º Semestre, 30,0 T + 30,0 TP
- Eunice Ferreira Ramos Lopes
Students should have technical and analytical skills to:
- Use the tools required to understand cultures (material and immaterial culture) and its interactions with tourism;
- Enhance local tourist narratives converting them into a tourism product.
1. Concepts: antrhopology, cultural anthropology and tourism anthropology;
2. Anthropological perspectives within the sociocultural dimension of tourism;
3. Anthropological interpretation from the perspective of integrating content into tourism consumption;
3.1. Tourist motivations, practices and experiences. Case presentation;
4.Anthropolical tourism essay.
b) critical reviews
c) field trip reports
d) written test
- BURNS, P. (1999). An Introduction to Tourism and Anthropology. (pp. 1-23). London: Routledge
- NASH, D. (1996). The Anthropology of Tourism. Oxford: Pergamon
- URRY, J. (2001). The tourist gaze. Leisure and travel in contemporary societies. London: Sage
- WARMS, N. (2014). Cultural Anthropology. (Vol. 1). Belmont. Wadsworth / Thomson Learning.: Belmont. Wadsworth / Thomson Learning.
Method of interaction
b) Practical classes including exercise-solving and critical reviews
c) Field trips related with socio-cultural tourism.
Software used in class