TeSP - Design Multimédia
5 ECTS; 1º Ano, 1º Semestre, 60,0 TP
- Maria João Bom Mendes dos Santos
Provide knowledge about the history of typography, as a basis for the resolution of practical exercises.
1. From the Cuneiform writing to the Roman alphabet;
2. The writing styles Uncial, Semi-uncial and Carolingian;
3. The invention of printing with movable type;
4. Types Old Style, Transitional and Modern;
5. The eccentric types of XIX century;
6. The typography in the XX century;
7. Introduction to software FontStruct.
Will be held during the semester six practical exercises.
Note result of weighting the results obtained in the development of the six projects.
- Lewis, J. (2007). Typography_Design & Practice. London: JM Classics Edition
- Carter, H. (2002). A View of Early Typography up to About 1600. London: Hyphen Press
- Felici, J. (2012). The Complete Manual of Typography. USA: Peachpit
- Lommen, M. (2012). The Book of Books 500 years of graphic innovation. London: Thames & Hudson
Method of interaction
Lectures accompanied by practical projects.
Software used in class