TeSP - Design Multimédia
5 ECTS; 1º Ano, 1º Semestre, 60,0 TP
- Maria João Bom Mendes dos Santos
1. Provide knowledge about the history of typography, as a basis for the resolution of practical exercises.
1. From the Cuneiform writing to the Roman alphabet;
2. The writing styles Uncial, Semi-uncial and Carolingian;
3. The invention of printing with movable type;
4. Types Old Style, Transitional and Modern;
5. The eccentric types of XIX century;
6. The typography in the XX century;
7. Introduction to software FontStruct.
Six practical exercises will be held throughout the semester. The note will result from the weighting of the results obtained in the development of the six projects (which are worth 100% in the final grade).
Only students who have resolved at least four of the practical exercises proposed in the classes will be admitted to the exam. Students admitted to the exam, as in continuous evaluation time, will have to present the same six practical exercises resolved.
- Lommen, M. (2012). The Book of Books 500 years of graphic innovation. London: Thames & Hudson
- Felici, J. (2012). The Complete Manual of Typography. USA: Peachpit
- Carter, H. (2002). A View of Early Typography up to About 1600. London: Hyphen Press
- Lewis, J. (2007). Typography_Design & Practice. London: JM Classics Edition
Method of interaction
1.Lectures accompanied by practical projects.
Software used in class