Process Design and Innovation
Mestrado em Tecnologia Quimica
4 ECTS; 2º Ano, 1º Semestre, 15,60 T + 30,0 TP
Students should be able to: identify opportunities for developing new products and new processes; interpret, use and propose patents; participate in the licensing procedures to implement new processes or new industries; propose methods fostering innovation.
1. Introduction to the development of new products and new processes; 2. Product development steps; 3. Conception and development of new manufacturing process; 4. Information technology and research networks; 5. Industrial and intellectual property; 6. Implementation of industrial units; 7. Innovation trends.
Practical group work(40%); Theoretical component includes a written test (60%) Minimum pass mark: 10 out of 20
- Biegler, L. e Grossmann, I. e Westerberg, A. (1997). Systematic Methods of Chemical Process Design. .: Prentice-Hall
- Peters, M. e Timmerhaus, K. e West, R. (2003). Plant Design and Economics for Chemical Engineers. .: McGraw-Hill
- Pires, A. (1999). Inovação e Desenvolvimento de Novos Produtos. .: Edições Sílabo
- ., .. (2005). Guia do Empreendedorismo. .: Edições SEDES
Method of interaction
Lectures and discussion of sample cases. Practical lessons dedicated to brainstorming and development of new ideas, literature review on patents and innovative projects.
Software used in class