Geographic Information Systems II
Master of Geographic Information Systems in Planning and Territory Management
6 ECTS; 1º Ano, 2º Semestre, 45,0 TP
This unit intends that students develop skills on:
Concepts and functions of raster data model.
- Methods of creation and analysis of Digital Terrain Model (DTM) and derivative data from DTM.
- Apply and development methodologies of spatial analysis based in raster spatial data.
1. Data Models raster. Definition and characteristics. Functions: Locations; Focal; Zonal and Global.
2. Digital Terrain Model. Digital Surface Model. Definition and characteristics. Methods of construction. Construction of Delaunay triangulations.
3.Extraction of profiles.
4. Map algebra, Reclassification, Proximity Analysis; Surface Analysis, Cost Surface, Resampling, Spatial Autocorrelation and Cluster Analysis.
5. Hydrological Modeling: Calculation of Flow Direction; Accumulated flow calculation; Extraction and classification of the hydrographic network; Extraction of the River Basin.
6. Spatial Interpolation: Methods and evaluation of the interpolator's accuracy.
7. Spatial analysis in Raster Systems: Development of spatial analysis models and geoprocessing tools.
8. Geographic modeling. Application cases to Territory Management.
The practical application (100%)
- Rhind, D. e Maguire, D. e Goodchild,, M. e Longley, P. (2005). Geographical Information Systems: Principles, Techniques, Management and Applications.. (Vol. 1). (pp. 1-357). USA: John Wiley & Sons
- Matos, J. (2008). Fundamentos de Informacaoo Geografica. (Vol. 1). (pp. 1-424). Lisboa: Lidel
Method of interaction
This unit will have an exhibition component, underpinned by appropriate multimedia resources and complemented with presentation of case studies.
Software used in class