Master's degree in Editorial Design
6 ECTS; 1º Ano, 1º Semestre, 45,0 TP + 3,0 O
- Hália Filipa da Costa Santos
An overview of the Portuguese media (property, editorial guidelines, audiences, missions and professional constraints). To recognise differente approaches of Media Discourse (written texts, use of photos, editorial options and ethics).
1. Media Goals and Media Power; the panorama os Mass media; journalism as a profession.
2. Journalistic Written Discourse: editorial guidelines and specificities of each médium
3. The identity of each publication: quality/popular; objetivity and neutrality
4. Photojournalism and Editorial Design: connections between visual elements; relationship between professionals.
5. Different approaches over Media Discourse: ethics and deontology
6. Critical analysis and reflection: preentation of students' research
Paper/project with a critical and original approach of one of the topics of the programme with results presented in class. Alternatively, students may opt for a written test.
- , .(2006). Discurso das Mídias. São Paulo: Editora Contexto
- , .(2000). O discurso do jornal. Lisboa: Editorial Contexto
- , .(1995). Media Discourse. London: Arnold
- , .(2001). Multimodal Discourse. London: Arnold
Method of interaction
Presentation of the theoretical contents supported by datashow resources.
Analysis of academic papers.
Analysis of media outputs.
Organization of debates in the classroom.
Stdents projects presentation and discussion.
Software used in class