Methodologies for the Examination and Analysis of Archaeological Materials
Master's degree in Prehistoric Archaeology and Rock Art
3 ECTS; 1º Ano, Anual, 7,0 TP + 12,0 TC + 8,0 S
On completion of this module the students should be able to recognise the main examination and analysis methodologies and respective application. They should also be able to interpret data with the aid of statistical methods and recognise the properties of the main archaeological materials.
2. Concepts of descriptive statistics
3. Materials Technology
4. Techniques for the examination and analysis of archaeological meterials
5. Collection and preparation of samples
6. Case study
Assessment is based on a practical assignment specified by the lecturer.
- CHAVARRIA, J. (1987). Pottery analysis. Chicago: University of Chicago Press
- HAMER, F. (1977). Optical Mineralogy. Nova Iorque: McGraw Hill
- Kerr, P. (2001). Análise de dados - Estatística descritiva. Lisboa: Vulgata
Method of interaction
Lectures supported by the resolution of exercises and practical cases.
Software used in class