History of photography 2
4 ECTS; 1º Ano, 2º Semestre, 30,0 T + 10,0 OT
- Valter Nuno Garcez da Silva Ventura
The students should be able to acquire cultural, political and historical references that will allow them to watch and interpret photos; watch, interpret and identify photographers; understand and reflect about the most important events in the history of photography.
1. Is there such a thing as a prehistory of photography 2. The 19th and 20th century 3. The Portuguese photography within History 4. And now, which photography?
Two written tests (40% of the final mark)and research works (60%).
A minimum mark of 10/20 in both assessment components is required to pass.
- Sena, A. (1998). História da imagem fotográfica em Portugal, 1839-1997. .: Porto Editora
- Gilardi, A. (2000). Storia sociale della fotografia. .: Ed. Bruno Mondadori
- Rosemblum, N. (1998). Une histoire mondiale de la photographie. .: Editions Abbeville
- Szarkowski, J. (2007). The Photographer's Eye. New York: The Museum of Modern Art
Method of interaction
Lectures supported by case study analysis and multimedia presentations
Software used in class