Structural Assessment Methods
Master's degree in Urban Rehabilitation
5 ECTS; 1º Ano, 1º Semestre, 45,0 TP + 2,0 OT
- Cristina Margarida Rodrigues Costa
The students should be able to analyse and understand the damage and decay of existing structures and identify the most appropriate techniques to characterise its state of preservation and assess its structural safety conditions.
1 General concepts. 2 Structural damage and decay. 3 Seismic structures. 4 Examination and characterisation of existing structures. 5 Structural assessment of existing constructions.
Assessment includes a written exam (50%), with a minimum grade of 9/20 and a practical group assignment(50%).
- Cóias, V. (2007). Reabilitação estrutural de edifícios antigos. Lisboa: Argumentum-GECoRPA
- Cóias, V. (2006). Inspecções e ensaios na reabilitação de edifícios. Lisboa: IST
- Lopes, L. (2008). Sismos e edifícios. Lisboa: Edições Orion
- Costa, A. e Appleton, J. (1999). Mecanismos de deterioração das estruturas de betão armado. Lisboa: IST
Method of interaction
Classes focus on presentation and analysis of theoretical concepts supported by presentation and discussion of practical examples. Students must undertake assessment of the state of preservation of real structures.
Software used in class