History of Publishing
Master's degree in Editorial Design
4 ECTS; 1º Ano, 2º Semestre, 30,0 T + 2,0 O
- Maria João Bom Mendes dos Santos
1. To acquire knowledge of the history of book and publishing;
2. To recognise the different phases of the history of book and publishing.
. The Egyptian and cuneiform writings;
2. Phonetic writing: from the Phoenicians to the Latins;
3. The alphabet in Western Europe;
4. The medieval manuscripts and the uncial and semi-uncial writings;
5. The medieval manuscripts and the tiny writing carolina;
6. The invention of the press and its dissemination;
7. The golden period of the French book;
8. The book printed in the seventeenth century;
9. The book printed in the eighteenth century (Baskerville and his followers);
10. The book printed in the nineteenth century (William Morris and his successors);
11. The book in the twentieth century (modern typography).
Paper - research, writting process (scientific models, structures and methodologies) and presentations during the semester - 100%
- Febvre, L. (2000). O aparecimento do livro. Lisboa: Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian
- Escolar, H. (1993). História universal del libro. Madrid: Fund. G. S. Ruipérez
- Beja, R. (2012). A edição em Portugal (1970-2010). Percursos e perspectivas. Lisboa: APEL
- Anselmo, A. (1991). História da edição em Portugal. Porto: Lello Editores
Method of interaction
1. Lectures supported by audio-visual and on-line resources.
2. Text analysis and discussion.
Software used in class