Preservation, Moulding and Restoration of Archaeological Materials
Master's degree in Prehistoric Archaeology and Rock Art
3 ECTS; 1º Ano, Anual, 7,0 TP + 12,0 TC + 8,0 S
- Fernando Manuel Conceição Costa
To be graduated in archaeology or related fields.
Provide students with skills to assess critical situations conservation of archaeological objects which can make minor preventive treatments. Develop identification skills and diagnosis of cultural heritage.
Moulding versus modelling. Difference Copy, replica and forgery. Types of Moulds. Standards for the evaluation of copies or reproductions. Legislation and Codes of Ethics concerning reproductions. Types of reproduction. Moulding Applied to Conservation and Restoration cases. Moulding Materials. Reproduction materials.
Continuous assessment: practical performance 60%, technical report 40%.
- Rice, P. (1986). POTTER?S DICTIONARY OF MATERIALS AND TECHNIQUES. London: A & C BLACK
- CLÉRIN, P. (2004). A CERÂMICA ? Colecção Artes e Ofícios. Lisboa: Editorial Estampa
- BRYDSON, J. (2002). LA SCULPTURE ? Toutes les Techniques. Paris: Dessain et Tolra
- David, N. (1989). Plastic Materials. London: ButterWorths
Method of interaction
Laboratory classes where students are required to develop templates and reports.
Software used in class