Human Resources Management and Organisational Behaviour
5 ECTS; 2º Ano, 2º Semestre, 60,0 TP + 15,0 OT
Students should be able to:
- recognize the specificities of different cultures;
- differentiate models of management functioning in different cultures;
- discriminate organizational behaviors such as leadership, typical of different cultures;
- to plan expatriation and repatriation.
1. Understand the trends of our time and their impact on management:
- Trends in the globalization and globalization of trends.
- Acceleration of internationalization.
- The chain of causes and effects.
2. Identify the main origins and problems of intercultural encounters.
3. The internationalization of Portuguese companies: advantages and disadvantages.
4. HRM in internationalized companies.
5. Geographic mobility of cadres.
6. Analyze the practical implications and implications of expatriation in terms of:
- Models and patterns of communication and feedback dominant in international cultures.
- More common attitudes towards conflicts and rules.
- Misunderstandings and intercultural conflicts.
- Implicit organizational models and their influence on the processes and forms of communication in a professional context.
- Relation with time and punctuality.
- Relationship with authority and rules.
- Relationship with the unknown and the ambiguity.
- Concern about competition or cooperation.
- Importance of the "I" versus "We".
- Kind of effective leadership.
7. HRM systems in situation of expatriation.
8. Intrapersonal and international career management.
9. Comparison of HRM techniques applied in multinational organizations.
Continuous Assessment: preparation and defense of group work based on a scientific article or writing written test. Exams are waived whenever the classification is greater than or equal to 10 values, or at work. or written test.
Assessment by Exam: Written exam.
- Cunha, M. e Rego, A. (2009). Gestão Multicultural. Lisboa: Editora RH
- Finuras, P. (2011). Gestão Intercultural - Pessoas e Carreiras na Era da Globalização. Lisboa: Edições Sílabo
- Silva, V. e Reis, F. (2014). Capital Humano - Temas para uma boa gestão das organizações. Lisboa: Edições Sílabo
- Martins, J. (2011). Internacionalização e Globalização de Empresas. Lisboa: Edições Sílabo
Method of interaction
At CU Multicultural Management emphasis is placed on the presentation and defense of scientific and practical work by students, which will allow a better understanding of the theory and provide the tools to face the solution of real problems.
Software used in class