Critique on Contemporary Photography 1
6 ECTS; 3º Ano, 1º Semestre, 60,0 S + 5,0 OT
- Nuno Miguel de Sousa Vieira
a) To develop and to deepen the knowledge on the practices A.C. and F; contributing to an understanding of photography as part of a wider cultural process;
b) Cross the information on the practice of A.C. and F. Building a relational and reciprocal view between the photographic practice in particular and the art in general;
c) To provide analytical tools adapted to a reflection in the practice of photography, so that the students can build a written, articulate, solid and personal discourse having as starting point u
m referring to personal or other imagery;
d) Identify the contingencies of F.'s practice in contemporaneity, considering that any event is always hostage to its context, the relations between the artistic production and the contextual particularity and specificity of determined its production and materialization are always constitutive and constructive of the own work;
1. Operational fields and definition of concepts starting from the production side. The do as strategy, methodology and procedure. From action to conceptualization.
2. Modernism, criticism and refoundation and their reverberations for contemporary artistic practice. Modernism as the founding period and hybridism as a consequence of an era of globalization.
3. Contemporary art in general and Photography in particular and its multiple directions and conceptual contingencies. The practice of juxtaposed photography and a symbiosis relationship with the context.
Presentation, defense and discussion of individually proposed practical work (70%)
The evaluation is continuous (30%)
Students who have not attended at least 2/3 of the classes during the semester will be excluded from the final evaluation.
- Didi-Heberman, G. (2013). O Que Vemos, O Que nos Olha. Lisboa: Editora 34
- Baudelaire, C. (2004). O Pintor da Vida Moderna. Lisboa: Vega
- Barthes, R. (2012). A Câmara Clara. .: Edições 70
- Marleau-Ponty , M. (2000). O Olho e o espírito. Lisboa: Vega
- A., C. (2005). Teorias da Arte. (Vol. 1). São Paulo: Martins Fontes
Method of interaction
Theoretical classes, debates, case studies, text analysis, individual and group presentations.
Software used in class