History of Photography 1
4 ECTS; 1º Ano, 1º Semestre, 30,0 T + 10,0 OT
- Miguel Duarte Antunes da Silva Jorge
The students should be able to acquire cultural, political and historical references that will allow them to watch and interpret photos; watch, interpret and identify photographers; understand and reflect about the most important events in the history of photography.
1. Is there such a thing as a prehistory of photography 2. The 19th century 3. The Portuguese photography within History 4. And now, which photography?
Two written tests (40% of the final mark)and research works (60%).
A minimum mark of 10/20 in both assessment components is required to pass.
- Szarkowski, J. (1998). The Photographer's Eye. Nova Iorque: The Museum of Modern Art
- Soudo, J. Fotografias Efémeras. Tomar: Instituto Politécnico de Tomar [tese de Mestrado].
- Rosemblum, N. (1998). A World History of Photography. Nova Iorque: Editions Abbeville
- Helmut, G. (1982). The Origins of Photography. Nova Iorque: Abbeville Press.
- Duarte, M. A Indumentária: proposta fotográfica para uma reflexão baseada na imagem.. Évora: Universidade de Évora [tese de Doutoramento].
Method of interaction
Lectures supported by case study analysis and multimedia presentations
Software used in class