Genetic Engineering (Option)
Chemical and Biochemical Engineering
5.5 ECTS; 3º Ano, 1º Semestre, 30,0 T + 30,0 P
- Dina Maria Ribeiro Mateus
Prior knowledge of biochemistry and cellular biology.
Students must acquire knowledge in the area of genetic engineering, through the learning of the fundamental concepts of
molecular biology, genetics, and the applications of recombinant DNA technology. They should gain expertise in the use of relevant molecular techniques.
DNA structure, replication, restriction, repair and recombination. Transcription. Genetic code and translation. Protein synthesis. Regulation of genetic expression. Recombinant DNA technology. Restriction enzymes and cloning vectors. Instability of r-plasmids. PCR, Southern Blot, Foot-printing,Northern Blot, basis and applications. Sequencing of DNA fragments. Genomic banks. Bioinformatics.
Final written test (60%), presentation and discussion of a practical assignment (15%)and laboratory reports (25%).
- Rehm, H. (1993). Biotechnology ? Genetic Fundamentals and Genetic Engineering. (Vol. 2). New York: VCH Publishers INC
- Lima, N. e Mota, M. (2003). Biotecnologia ? Fundamentos e Aplicações (Genética aplicada- Cap VI e VII). Lisboa: Lidel-Edições Técnicas
- Videira, A. (2001). Engenharia Genética ? Princípios e Aplicações (Princípios básicos - Cap I a VIII),. Lisboa: Lidel-Edições Técnicas
- Mateus, D. (0). Sebenta de Engenharia Genética.Acedido em1 de setembro de 2018 em www.e-learning.ipt.pt
Method of interaction
Theoretical lectures, tutorials, laboratory classes, case study.
Software used in class