Economics and Management
Chemical and Biochemical Engineering, Publication in the Diário da República - Despacho nº 10764/2011 - 30/08/2011
4 ECTS; 3º Ano, 1º Semestre, 45,0 TP
Students are expected to acquire the fundamental concepts of economics and business administration, develop market analysis techniques applied to industrial processes and prepare investment projects.
1. Introduction: basic principles of economy; Microeconomics and macroeconomics fundamentals; Corporate structure and management concepts; 2. Management functions: sales and marketing management (Marketing; Market surveys; Marketing mix); Production and operations management; Material resources and stocks management; Human resources managenent; Financial planning; 3. Corporate planning: strategic management and strategic planning; 4. Design and economical evaluation of industrial plants: The project investment concept; Data required to perform the economical analysis of projects; Project evaluation and selection criteria; 5. Relationships between Engineering and Management: Innovation management and technological based organizations; Entrepreneurishp and business creation..
Ongoing assessment: Group work (30%)and written test(70%)
Exam assessment: written exam
Minimum of 9 marks (out of 20) in both components.
- Pinho, H. (2019). Material de apoio de EG. (Vol. 1). Tomar: IPT
- Neves, J. (2011). Introdução à Economia. Lisboa: Ed. Verbo ISBN: 9789722230568
- Sousa, A. (1999). Introdução à Gestão: Uma abordagem sistémica.. Lisboa: Ed. Verbo ISBN: 9789722213028
- Marques, A. (2014). Concepção e análise de projectos de investimento.. Lisboa: Ed. Sílabo ISBN: 9789726187813
Method of interaction
Theoretical-practical classes: course content presentation followed by open discussion on proposed case studies; problem solving.
Software used in class