Probabilities and Statistics
6 ECTS; 2º Ano, 1º Semestre, 28,0 T + 14,0 PL + 28,0 TP + 5,0 OT
- Luis Miguel Lindinho da Cunha Mendes Grilo
Provide the basics of some key techniques and methodologies of Statistics, mainly quantitative, so that students can design and implement solutions to different problems under uncertainty conditions.
1. Probability (axioms and theorems), 2. discrete and continuous random variables; 3. Some theoretical probability distributions (discrete and continuous); 4. Sampling(mean, variance and sample proportion)
5. Point and interval estimation parameters,
6. Parametric hypothesis tests (mean, variance and population proportion);
7.Correlation and simple linear regression
Continuous assessment: evaluation by frequency during the semester (two written tests, classified from 0 to 20 values), with the minimum classification restriction of 6 values in both. The student is exempt from examination (i.e. approved by continuous assessment) if the average obtained from the written frequency classification, rounded to the units, is equal to or greater than 10 values.
Assessment by exam: written exam with all the subjects taught in the curricular unit (classified from 0 to 20 values).
- Gama, S. e Pedrosa, A. (2004). Introdução Computacional à Probabilidade e Estatística. Porto - Portugal: Porto Editora
- Cabral, J. e Guimarães, R. (2007). Estatística. Lisboa - Portugal: McGraw-Hill
- Grilo, L. (2013). Probabilidades e Estatística. Conceitos Teórico-Práticos. Instituto Politécnico de Tomar, Portugal: Instituto Politécnico de Tomar
Method of interaction
The teaching methodology of this curricular unit consists of theoretical classes with oral exposition, assisted with notes and theoretical-practical classes, laboratory and tutorial practices, where several application exercises are solved.
Software used in class
Occasionally, Excel and the SPSS statistical package can be used to solve some exercises.