Digital Printing and Colour Management
6 ECTS; 3º Ano, 2º Semestre, 30,0 T + 45,0 TP + 5,0 OT
Give students knowledge about the phenomenon of color and its importance in the construction of the photographic image. Provide color management tools to improve the quality of their work, prepare them for the connection to professional printing and scanning, familiarize them with the photographic print workflow by giving them capabilities level of scanning and printing of the digital image.
1- The phenomenon of color
-The phenomenon of color (light and vision)
-Importance of color in the composition of images; photography, film and art;
-History and theory of color;
-Digital color, Trichromatic and CIE models (Lab and LUV);
Color management system: its components and their importance in the correct reproduction of colors;
-Colorimetry and spectrometry.
2- Applied Color Management
- Characterization, calibration and profiling;
-Creation of color profiles for various devices through specific software;
-Digitalization of film and interpretation of digital files (RAW);
-Histogram of a digital image and Photoshop color tools;
-Conversions between profiles: Profile Connection Space, color profile, color engine (CMM) and interpretation intent.
-the various types of printing: inkjet, digital and offset;
-Application of color management to printing;
- creating output profiles, comparing different devices and papers.
Written test 15%
Work 1 30%
Work 2 30%
Attendance and practice 25%
Given the practical nature of the course, the non-achievement of a grade of 8 or more in the practical component is reason for exclusion from the exam.
- BUNTING, F. e FRASER, B. e MURPHY, C. (2003). Real World Color Management. Berkeley: Peachpit Press
- BELLANTONI, P. (2005). If Its Purple Someone?s Going to Die: the Power of Color in Visual Storytelling. -: Focal Press
- BUCKLOW, S. (2009). The Alchemy of Paint: Art, Science and Secrets from the Middle Ages: Colour and Meaning Fom the Middle Ages. -: Marion Boyars Publishers
- ITTEN, J. (1971). The Elements of Color, Van Nostrand Reinhold Company. -: -
Method of interaction
Theoretical and practical classes 1) history and theory of color; 2) the concepts that allow the color management of the devices used; 3) Various printing techniques possible for their digital images.
Software used in class
Photoshop CS4, Eye-one Match, Profile Maker, Silverfast