Gold, Platinum and Pigment Printing Processes
6 ECTS; 2º Ano, 2º Semestre, 30,0 T + 45,0 TP + 5,0 OT
- Alexandre José de Magalhães Figueiredo
On completion of this module the students should be familiarised with non-conventional photographic processes, have developed learning and critical skills, be able to handle with photographic chemistry and to describe procedures and materials.
Classification of photographic processes by types.
Printing process: gum dychromate
Printing process: carbon printing
Printing process: Vandyke
Printing process: cyanotype
Alternative printing supports.
Printing process: platinum printing.
Printing process: gold printing (crysotype).
Continuous assessment: three tests + theoretical presentation + laboratory assignments + final project.
- James, C. (2007). The Book of Alternative Photographic Processes. New York: Delmar Cengage Learning
- Scopick, D. (1991). The gum bichromate book: non silver methods for photographic printmaking. London: Focal Press
- Rexer, L. (2002). Photography's Antiquarian Avant-Garde, the new wave in old processes. New York: Harry N. Abrams, Inc., Publishers
- Arentz, D. (2000). Platinum and Palladium Printing. London: Focal Press
Method of interaction
Lectures and laboratory classes focused on practice and experimentation.
Software used in class
Software dedicated to pre-printing processes, to help with the making of digital negatives.