Art History and Theory 2
Photography, Publication in the Diário da República - Despacho n.º 8645/2020 - 08/09/2020
4 ECTS; 1º Ano, 2º Semestre, 30,0 T + 5,0 OT
- Ana Rita de Sousa Gaspar Vieira
A. Promoting an increase in visual culture that allows students to identify and distinguish different creative languages, promoting respect for difference and for the 'other';
B. Stimulate a deeper knowledge of the History that precedes the Modernist Process and Contemporary Art, contributing to the development of students' critical sense and social awareness;
C. Understand relationships between History and Theory of Art in contemporary times and know how to apply them to the particular context of photography, understanding the use of image over time as a vehicle of power, spirituality, memory, to understand how their codes accumulate and subsist.
1. The Modern Age:
- The 'subjectification' of art;
- The artist as creator;
- The world of machines and the industrial image;
4. The Modernist Process: the Vanguards and the Breaks:
- The emergence of the museum;
- The appearance of the exhibition;
- The 'Isms' and the 'Grade zero' of art;
- The end of the History of Art;
5. Contemporary Art:
- The 'white cube' as a paradigm of the exhibition space;
The U.C. results from attendance and constructive participation in classes (which is worth 10% of the final grade) and from the realization of 2 theoretical works of critical analysis of contents taught at the U.C., previously agreed and approved by the teacher. The 1st work is a critical comment (which is worth 20% of the final grade of the U.C.) and the 2nd work is the in-depth theoretical investigation of one of the themes studied, previously agreed with the professor (which is worth 70% of the final grade of the U.C). Students who, in the sum of these 3 items, have an evaluation equal to or greater than 10 will be exempted from the exam.
The evaluation during the exam period implies the presence and participation in at least 1/3 of the classes and is effected by the delivery of the 2 referred works, related to the contents taught at the UC, also with the prior agreement of the themes to be developed, on the part of of the teacher.
- Belting, H. (2006). O Fim da História da Arte.. São Paulo: Cosac Naify
- Huyghe, R. (1998). O Poder da Imagem. Lisboa: Edições 70
- Gombrich, E. (1993). A História da Arte.. Rio de Janeiro: Editora Guanabara Koogan S.A.
- Chipp, H. (1999). Teorias da Arte Moderna. São Paulo: Martins Fontes
Method of interaction
Theoretical lectures, based on viewing and critical discussion of images and theoretical content presented.
Software used in class