Art History and Theory 1
Photography, Publication in the Diário da República - Despacho n.º 8645/2020 - 08/09/2020
4 ECTS; 1º Ano, 1º Semestre, 30,0 T + 5,0 OT
- Ana Rita de Sousa Gaspar Vieira
Promote a visual culture which enables students to identify and distinguish the different creative languages throughout History. To understand the use of images throughout time as a vehicle of power, spirituality and memory and how its codes have accumulated and persist today.
Prehistory: art at the service of temporal and spiritual power.
Antiquity: the codification of reality, Art in empire building and cosmogonies.
Middle Ages: the kingdom of heaven in the kingdoms of men, the power of symbols.
Renaissance: Christianity and Paganism.
Class attendance and participation (20%) + test (80%).
End-of-term exam (100%). Assessment of questions designed to test taught content that require interpretation and problematisation.
- Hauser, A. (1988). Teorias da Arte. Lisboa: Editorial Presença, LDA
- Gombrich, E. (1993). A História da Arte. Rio de Janeiro: Editora Guanabara Koogan S.A.
- Janson, H. (1992). História da Arte. Lisboa: F. C. Gulbenkian
- Didi-Huberman, G. (2017). Diante do Tempo. Lisboa: Orfeu Negro
Method of interaction
Software used in class