TeSP - Arte e Técnica do Couro
5 ECTS; 1º Ano, 2º Semestre, 60,0 TP
To learn basic knowledge of Chemistry. To promote recognition of its importance in nature, technological development and quality of life in society. Students should be able to solve basic problems of Chemistry and perform simple laboratory tasks.
1. Revisions of fundamental concepts of Chemistry.
1.1. Chemical elements and their organization: Mass and size of atoms; Energy of electrons in atoms; Periodic Table. 1.2. Properties and transformations of matter: Chemical bond; Gases and dispersions; Chemical transformations.
2. Chemical equilibrium.
Quantitative aspects of chemical reactions. Chemical equilibrium and extent of chemical reactions.
3. Reactions in aqueous systems.
Acid-base reactions. oxidation-reduction reactions. Solutions and equilibrium solubility.
4. Metals and metal alloys.
Structure and properties of metals. Degradation
of metals. Metals, environment and life.
5. Fuels and environment.
Fossil fuels: coal, crude oil and natural gas. From where does the energy of the fuels come.
6. Plastics, glass and new materials.
Plastics and polymeric materials. Synthetic polymers and the polymer industry. New
1. Determination of the acid dissociation constant of a weak monoprotic acid.
2. Redox reactions and electrochemical cells.
3. Metals, colour of flames and solubility of salts.
4. Complexes of transition metals.
5. Production of biodiesel from used cooking oils.
- Chang, R. (1994). Química. Lisboa: McGraw-Hill
- Russel, J. (1994). Química geral. Rio de Janeiro: Makron
- Beran, J. e Atkins, P. (1990). General chemistry. New York: Scientific American Books
Method of interaction
Exposition classes of the matter. Problem solving classes. Classes with the realization of practical laboratory works.
Software used in class