Mestrado em Tecnologia Quimica
4 ECTS; 2º Ano, 1º Semestre,
Basics of general chemistry.
Students understand the fundamental concepts of electrochemistry and its importance in society; electrochemical systems and its technological
application; corrosion control and prevention.
1. Importance of electrochemical processes in society.
2. Fundamental concepts of electrochemistry: Electrical and ionic conduction; Electrolytic solutions, reactions
and electrode potentials and types of electrochemical cells; Interfaces, thermodynamics and kinetics of
3. Electrochemical characterization techniques: Electrochemical sensors and techniques; Hybrid techniques.
4. Conversion and energy storage: Batteries and other types of electrochemical cells; Fuel cells and
5. Technologically important electrochemical processes: Electrosynthesis and new materials;
Electrometallurgy and surface finishing; Removal and recovery of materials.
6. Corrosion: Importance of the phenomenon in society; Fundamental concepts, thermodynamics and kinetics
of corrosion reactions; Prevention and control.
Written test and group work.
- Atkins, P. (1998). Physical Chemistry. Oxford: Oxford University Press
- Reddy, A. e Bockris, J. (1977). Modern Electrochemistry. (Vol. 1 and 2). New York: Plenum Press
- Faulkner, L. e Bard, A. (1980). Electrochemical Methods: Fundamentals and Applications. New York: John Wiley & Sons
- Brett, C. e Brett, A. (1996). Electroquímica: Princípios, Métodos e Aplicações. Coimbra: Almedina
Method of interaction
Lectures and practical lessons including exercise-solving.
Software used in class