Química das Superfícies e Interfaces
Mestrado em Tecnologia Quimica
6 ECTS; 1º Ano, 1º Semestre, 30,0 T + 16,0 PL + 14,0 TP
- Valentim Maria Brunheta Nunes
Students should be able to describe the major models used to describe the physical and chemical behaviour of surfaces and interfaces. They should be able to apply these concepts to important chemical technology systems.
1.Colloidal Systems. Industrial importance; 2.Liquid/gas interface. Surface tension. Young-Laplace equation. Kelvin equation. Gibbs isothermal; 3. Liquid/liquid interface. Interfacial tension. Aggregation and tensioactive colloids. Emulsions. Bancroft rule; 4.Solid/gas interface. Chemical and physical adsorption. Adsorption isothermals. Langmuir and BET
Short individual written essay on a topic related with surface and interface chemistry and reports (30%). A written mid-term test or final examination (70%).
- Adamson, A. (1997). Physical Chemistry of Surfaces. New York: John Wiley & Sons Inc
- Shaw, D. (1999). Introduction to Colloid and Surface Chemistry. Oxford: Butterworth Heineman
- Rajagopalan, R. e Hiemenz, P. (1997). Principles of Colloid and Surface. New York: Marcel Dekker Inc.,
- Pashley, R. e Karaman, M. (2004). Applied Colloid and Surface Chemistry. Chichester: Wiley
Method of interaction
Theoretical Lectures. Pratical lessons including problem-solving and applied laboratory work.
Software used in class