Terrestrial Spatial Positioning Systems
Master of Geographic Information Systems in Planning and Territory Management
6 ECTS; 1º Ano, 1º Semestre, 45,0 TP
- Fernando Manuel Lino Gonçalves Antunes
Get an overview of techniques for terrestrial and spatial positioning systems available, in particular the GPS system, acquiring skills to perform a complete practical work: planning, positioning, collection and processing of spatial data.
1. Geodesy and surveying. Measurement techniques in the field and topographic maps; General methods of surveying; Applications of surveying for land/planning
2. The global navigation satellite system (GNSS). The NAVSTAR/GPS system; GPS planning session; Field data collection and data collection techniques; Data processing and mapping; Data import and export in a variety of GIS and CAD format
- exam - 40,
- pratical report - 60.
- Hofmann-Wellenhof, B. e Lichtenegger, H. e Collins, J. (1997). GPS Theory and Practice. Wien NewYork,: Springer-Verlag
- Madeira, S. e Sousa, J. (2012). Topografia. Conceitos e aplicações. Lisboa: Lidel
Method of interaction
Presencial. Based on the expositive and demonstrative method. The students will do a practical exercise which integrates all the GPS techniques covered in and outside the classroom.
Software used in class
ArcGIS. GPS Software