Master of Geographic Information Systems in Planning and Territory Management
6 ECTS; 1º Ano, 1º Semestre, 45,0 TP
- Rita Ribeiro de Carvalho Ferreira Anastácio
Students should be able to define the architecture for the information system of a particular case and define its entity-association model, as well as the corresponding relational data model. Within the framework of this model, students should build a geodatabase and query this database.
1. Introduction to databases.
2. Database Management Systems (DBMS) and data models.
3. Relational Model: Concepts; Types of relationship; Normalization; E-R Diagram
4. Microsoft Access (MS Access): Tables, fields, and records. Definition of relations. E-R consistency tests.
5. Geographic Data Model in ArcGIS: Geodatabase
6. Construction and management of a geodatabase: Concept and properties; Elements and organization; Types of geodatabase; Steps and processes of construction; Conception and validation of the relational model in MS Access
7. Creation and import of information.
8. Creating and Editing Tables
9. Behavior of the entities of a geodatabase: Definition of Domains; Establishment of Subtypes; Relationship Establishment; Geometric Networks
10. Data query in ArcGis: Introduction to the SQL language; Querying a geodatabase through the SQL-based Query Builder (ArcGIS) interface
Practical work for all evaluation data.
- Arctur, D. e Zeiler, Z. (2004). Designing Geodatabases: case studies in GIS data modeling.. USA: ESRI Press
- Maidment, D. (2002). Arc Hydro: GIS for water resources.. USA: ESRI Press
- Ramakrishnan, R. e Gehrke, J. (2003). Database Management Systems. Boston, USA: McGraw-Hill
- Zeiler, M. (2010). Modeling Our World: The ESRI Guide to Geodatabase Concepts.. Redlands, USA: ESRI Press
Method of interaction
Presencial. The presentation of the various topics will be complemented by its practical application by students who work in-person on the GIS platform adopted positions and may use special software licenses to study outside of class
Software used in class