Pathology of Building Materials
Master's degree in Urban Rehabilitation
5 ECTS; 1º Ano, 1º Semestre, 15,0 T + 30,0 TP + 3,0 OT
Achievement of technical-and scientific knowledge in the field of the Pathology of Materials. Identify the causes and mechanisms of degradation of the main building materials. Understand the physical and chemical processes that are in the origin of the materials degradation. Identify the pathologies of the building materials. Characterize major degradations. Knowledge about the techniques of inspection and diagnosis of pathologies. To establish the techniques, tests and analyses, that allow the correct diagnosis. Proceed to the registry of the pathologies. To know methods and techniques of prevention, protection and repair of pathologies. Select the most appropriate repair techniques and methodologies. Analyse commonly used repair solutions from the viewpoint of sustainability.
1. Introduction to the Pathology of Materials: definition of pathology. Pathological process. Concepts of alteration and alterability of building materials
2. Mechanisms and agents of materials degradation
3. Decay and diagnosis of the following materials: Stone materials; Ceramic materials and glass; Mortars of aerial and hydraulic lime; Stucco; Crude soil; Metals and metal alloys; Plastic materials; Paints and varnishes
4. Resources and diagnostic support techniques
5. Research and anomalies
6. Methods of cleaning, consolidation and protection of materials.
7. Conducting laboratory tests.
8. Case studies
Assessment of the UC is made based on three practical works, proposed by each of the teachers, undertaken individually in class or extra-class.
- , .(2001). As Rochas dos Monumentos Portugueses, tipologias e patologias. (Vol. I). Lisboa: IPPAR
- , .(2003). Reabilitação de edifícios antigos. Patologias e tecnologias de intervenção. S/L: Ed. Orion
- , .(2009). Inspecção e Ensaios na Reabilitação de Edifícios. Lisboa: IST Press
- , .(2010). Materials for Engineers and Technicians. Oxford: Elsevier
Method of interaction
Lectures for exposition and discussion on the specific themes.Theoretical-practical classes to solve and analyse cases that favour the critical intervention of the students. Classes in the Laboratory to perform characterization tests, and use equipme
Software used in class