Patologia dos Materiais
Mestrado em Reabilitação Urbana
5 ECTS; 1º Ano, 1º Semestre, 15,0 T + 30,0 TP + 3,0 OT
On completion of this unit students should be able to identify the main causes for deterioration of building materials, to develop methods to minimise the effect of the main pathologies and to preserve the historical, artistic and heritage value of buildings.
1. Concept of cultural heritage
3. Change and Changeability
4. Decay and diagnosis of inorganic materials
5. Decay and diagnosis of metallic materials
6. Decay and diagnosis of coating and decoration materials
7. Diagnosis and registration support techniques
8. Cleaning, consolidation and preservation methods
Assessment is based on a practical assignment undertaken in class and respective report. Assignment weighs 50% and the final grade and is the weighted average of assignment and report. Minimum pass grade is 10/20.
- Aires-Barros, L. (2001). As Rochas dos Monumentos Portugueses, tipologias e patologias. (Vol. I). Lisboa: IPPAR
- Appleton, J. (2003). Reabilitação de edifícios antigos. Patologias e tecnologias de intervenção. S/L: Ed. Orion
- Cóias, V. (2009). Inspecção e Ensaios na Reabilitação de Edifícios. Lisboa: IST Press
- Higgins, R. (2010). Materials for Engineers and Technicians. Oxford: Elsevier
Method of interaction
Lectures supported by exercise solving and laboratory experiments.
Software used in class