Design for periodics
Master's degree in Editorial Design, Publication in the Diário da República - Despacho nº 7904/2013 - 18/06/2013
10 ECTS; 1º Ano, 2º Semestre, 90,0 TP + 6,0 OT + 4,0 O
Know and understand the concepts of editorial design applied to the magazine and newspapers.
Know the elements of graphic composition: format, grid system, typography, color, photography, illustration and infographics.
Coordinate the graphic elements in a functional way, according to rules of formal coherence, legibility and page reading flows.
Develop creativity applied in editorial communication.
Create graphic designs for different publications, from concept to form.
Acquire basic skills in art direction.
Understand the specifics involved in the redesign of publications.
Use editorial design software in an advanced way.
1. Introduction to periodic editions
1.1 Evolution of periodic editions.
1.2 Structure of newspaper editions. Types of newspapers.
1.3 Structure of magazine editions. Types of magazines.
2. Concept of publication, editorial structure.
3. Elements of editorial design.
3.2 Grid System
3.6 Illustration And Infographics.
4. Principles and features of design and pagination: coherence, functionality, hierarchy of information.
4.1 Composition (rhythm, symmetry, intensity), balance and language
4.2 Constructive tensions, influence relations (proportion, movement)
4.3 Constructive tensions, relations of conformity (repetition, contrast, harmony, alternation, gradation)
5. Graphic design
5.1 Types of pagination. Modular system
5.2 Standardization. Models
5.3 Design optimization in periodic editions
6. Fundamentals of art direction
7. Redesign process
Frequency assessment and exam periods.
The final classification results from the following weighting:
- Pagination exercises: 20%
- Newspaper project : 35%
- Magazine project : 35%
- Active participation in teaching activities: 10%.
- CALDWELL, C. e ZAPATERRA, Y. (2014). Editorial Design: Digital and Print.. London: Laurence King Publishing
- ERREA , J. (2017). Visual Journalism: Infographics from the World's Best Newsrooms and Designers.. Berlim: Gestalten Verlag
- FRANCHI, F. (2013). Designing News. Changing the World of Editorial Design and Information Graphics. Berlim: Gestalten Verlag
- GÄDE, R. (2002). Diseño de periódicos . Sistema y método. Barcelona: Gustave Gili
- GARCIA, M. (1987). Contemporary newspaper design. A strutural approach. New Jersey: Prentice-Hall
- HARROWER, T. (2013). The Newspaper Design Handbook. Boston: McGraw-Hill
- HELLER, S. (2003). Merz to Emigre. New York: Phaidon Press
- LESLIE, J. (2003). New Magazine Design. Barcelona: Laurence King Publishing
- FOGES, C. (2000). Design de Revistas. Lisboa: Destarte
Method of interaction
1. Theoretical classes assisted with projection of programmatic content demonstrations;
2. Analysis of different publications.
3. Development of practical pagination exercises.
4. Elaboration of two projects: magazine and newspaper design.
Software used in class