Master's degree in Editorial Design, Publication in the Diário da República - Despacho nº 7904/2013 - 18/06/2013
8 ECTS; 1º Ano, 1º Semestre, 60,0 TP + 4,0 OT + 4,0 O
- Gonçalo André Moço Falcão
1. Design the graphic layout for a collection
2. Be familiar with the specificities of the production flow of a book
3. Create an original approach to book design
4. Develop a book design project fitted to its content
2. Cover Design (collections and one of a kind)
3 Grids and content
4. The parts of a book
5. Hierarchies of information
6. Multilingual Books
7. text and iconography
8. Techniques for page layout
10. Professionals working for a book
11. Projects: Designing two books
Students will be assessed on an ongoing basis. In addition to the pedagogical and scientific factors specific to the project, assessment will consider the following criteria:
1. Attendance, punctuality and attitude: in addition to student attendance in person and the interest shown in learning the subjects, monitoring of the progress of work and other issues of a pedagogical nature related to the smooth running of the project will be considered positive. Negative behaviours include: lack of punctuality, answering the mobile phone or not having it turned off; browsing social networks; having the computer on during a theoretical lesson; leaving the class without a reason during the course of a theoretical explanation of interest to all; chating with classmates that undermines the smooth progress of the lesson.
2. Comply with deadlines;
3. Attendance of all students on the day scheduled for the assessments is crucial, since the tests are considered special classes to assess student progress.
4. All marks will be awarded on a 1-20 scale.
Students must bring all the work done during the semester and requested in the text; an additional written or oral exam, or both may be required.
- BRINGHURST, R. (2013). The Elements Of Typographic Style . Vancouver : Hartley & Marks
- HOCHULI, J. e KINROSS, R. (1996). Designing Books . London: Hyphen Press
- HEITLINGER, P. (2008). Tipografia: Origem, Formas e Uso das Letras. Lisboa: Dinalivro
- DRUCKER, J. e McVARISH, E. (2009). Graphic Design History, a Critical Guide . New Jersey: Pearson Education
- FLETCHER, A. (2001). The Art of Looking Sideways . London: Phaidon
- JOHNSON, M. (2002). Problem Solved. London : Phaidon
Method of interaction
Set in a professional academic context, the work will be carried out using a typical exercise of the profession, supported by theoretical classes. Experimentation and trial and error will be encouraged under one-to-one supervision.
Software used in class