Image Editing and Finishing
Master's degree in Editorial Design, Publication in the Diário da República - Despacho nº 7904/2013 - 18/06/2013
5 ECTS; 1º Ano, 2º Semestre, 30,0 TP + 2,0 OT + 2,0 O
- Miguel Duarte Antunes da Silva Jorge
A)Be able to analyse the quality of photographic images from a technical, aesthetic and utilitarian point of view.
B)Select the different types of photographic image narratives according to the characteristics of the publications.
C)Treat and edit images for different publications
1 Types of images: - a) analysis of different types of images in all kinds of publications; b) Selection of images;
2 Main characteristics of the image for editorial publications: - a)The elements of digital photography; b) Types of image for editorial projects;
3 Editing and finalizing images: - a) Resolution and definition; b) Image correction; c) Image finishing.
Ongoing assessment is the arithmetic average of four exercises (1, 2 and 3 - 20% each, exercise 4 - 30%), as well as attendance and participation in online and face-to-face classes (10%).
Exam assessment includes the presentation of the final project (60%) and a practical assessment (40%) with a 2-hour duration.
- Belting, H. (2011). An Anthropology of Images: Picture, Medium, Body. Nova Jersey: Princeton University Press
- Evening, M. (2018). Adobe Photoshop CC for Photographers. New York: Routledge
- Gronert, S. (2009). The Dusseldorf School of Photography. Alemanha: Thames & Hudson
- Newhall, B. (2005). The History of Photography. Florença: The Museum of Modern Art
- Parr, M. e Badger, G. (2004). The Photobook: A History Volume I. Londres: Phaidon
- Parr, M. e Badger, G. (2009). The Photobook: A History Volume II. Londres: Phaidon
Method of interaction
1) Theoretical-practical lessons with demonstration and practice of content learned;
2) Practical exercises involving image editing and retouching in order to consolidate knowledge
Software used in class
Adobe Photoshop; Adobe Photoshop Camera Raw e Adobe Lightroom; Colibri Zoom