Photo Editing and Finishing
Master's degree in Editorial Design, Publication in the Diário da República - Despacho nº 7904/2013 - 18/06/2013
5 ECTS; 1º Ano, 2º Semestre, 30,0 TP + 2,0 OT + 2,0 O
- Miguel Duarte Antunes da Silva Jorge
1 Handle and manipulate images to suit the type of publication and their own technical characteristics;
2 Distinguish quality images aesthetically, functionally and technically;
3 Know how to select the most appropriate images for a publication.
1 Types of images: - a) analysis of different types of images in all kinds of publications; b) Selection of images;
2 Main characteristics of the image for editorial publications: - a)The elements of digital photography; b) Types of image for editorial projects;
3 Editing and finalizing images: - a) Resolution and definition; b) Image correction; c) Image finishing.
The frequency avaliation results from the arithmetic average of five exercises (exercises 1 and 2 - 10% each, exercises 3 and 4 - 20% each, exercise 5 / final project - 30%) and the presence and participation in the classes in person and online(10%) .
The evaluation in the exame period, results from the realization of a practical exercise (online) with two hours (40%) and the presentation of the final project (60%).
- Gronert, S. (2009). The Dusseldorf School of Photography. Alemanha: Thames & Hudson
- Newhall, B. (2005). The History of Photography. Florença: The Museum of Modern Art
- Evening, M. (2018). Adobe Photoshop CC for Photographers. New York: Routledge
- Belting, H. (2011). An Anthropology of Images: Picture, Medium, Body. Nova Jersey: Princeton University Press
- Parr, M. e Badger, G. (2004). The Photobook: A History Volume I. Londres: Phaidon
- Parr, M. e Badger, G. (2009). The Photobook: A History Volume II. Londres: Phaidon
Method of interaction
1 theoretical and online classes assisted with projection of programmatic content demonstrations;
2 Practical exercises including image treatment and manipulation.
Software used in class
Adobe Photoshop; Adobe Photoshop Camera Raw e Adobe Lightroom; Colibri Zoom