History of photography 2
Photography, Publication in the Diário da República - Despacho nº 10072/2012 - 25/07/2012
4 ECTS; 1º Ano, 2º Semestre, 30,0 T + 10,0 OT
- Valter Nuno Garcez da Silva Ventura
The aim of the UC of History of Photography 2 is to create a framework of technological, cultural and sociopolitical references, based on a historical context, allowing the student to develop a critical analysis based on knowledge and understanding of historical facts related to the image.
1. Views of war and representation of violence: from the staged images of Crimea, to fake news.
2. Social and documentary realism: how the other half lives.
3. The Family of Man: Edward Steichen's humanistic experience.
4.Street Photography: the spirit of the times and point-blank photography.
5.Landscape: between f / 64 and New Topographics.
6. Portrait: the representation of the other.
7.Photojournalism: photographic narratives.
8.Art: from pictorialism to autonomous language.
Group assignment (70%)
Presentation of group work (20%)
Continuous assessment: attendance and constructive participation in online meetings (10%)
- Sena, A. (1998). História da imagem fotográfica em Portugal, 1839-1997. .: Porto Editora
- Gilardi, A. (2000). Storia sociale della fotografia. .: Ed. Bruno Mondadori
- Rosemblum, N. (1998). Une histoire mondiale de la photographie. .: Editions Abbeville
- Szarkowski, J. (2007). The Photographer's Eye. New York: The Museum of Modern Art
Method of interaction
Discussion and monitoring of group work online.
Software used in class